While briefing the federal cabinet, Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) revealed that the data of almost 45 thousand international passengers has been stolen to unlock illegal or smuggled mobile phones in the country.
The meeting was chaired by PM Imran Khan himself.
The authorities shared documents that revealed the theft and misuse of travel documents such as Passport and CNIC details of around 45,000 passengers who traveled to Pakistan.
It is reported that the misuse began since the implementation of Device Identification Registration and Blocking System (DIRBS).
If you are an international traveler or a Pakistani living overseas, follow the below steps to confirm the status of your data:
- Go to the PTA’s official website
- Click on the Online Mobile Registration Tab
- Click on the Sign-up option to create a new account
- Add your details in the given form
- After filling out the form, if you receive an error message popping up from the top right corner of the screen saying (User with that Pa already exists, please try again), it means that someone has stolen your passport number.
If you receive an error message, you will have to file a complaint at PTA’s official email address using the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to PTA’s official website
- Select the Contact Us option from the top right corner of the screen
- Click on the Complaints tab
- Copy the Email-id, which is “firstname.lastname@example.org”
- Send your passport number and the relevant detail at the email given above
Make sure to find out the status of your data before it gets too late.
Have anything to add to the story? Let us know in the comments!
Stay tuned to Brandsynario for more updates.