Karachi development projects are in full swing and the metropolis is undergoing massive evolution in terms of infrastructure.
Sindh Chief Minister (CM) Syed Murad Ali Shah during a meeting has said that Karachi has been given top priority for development.
A pool of Rs53 billion has been allocated under Annual Development Programme (ADP) 2018-19 against 365 schemes of Rs218.6b that have been launched.
The meeting held on Wedesday was also attended by Local Government Minister Saeed Ghani, Chief Secretary Mumtaz Shah, Planning and Development (P&D) Chairman Mohammad Waseem, Principal Secretary to CM Sajid Jamal Abro, Finance Secretary Najam Shah, Karachi Commissioner Iftikhar Shalwani, Local Government Secretary Khalid Hyder Shah, Local Government Special Secretary Niaz Soomro, Project Director Khalid Masroor and others.
Reportedly, a total of 365 proposed schemes were submitted out of which 16 mega projects for the city have been completed in 2016-17 while 17 other mega projects are near completion.
These projects include upgrading of Pipri Filter Plant, Drigh Road flyover, Manzil Pump flyover, construction of link road from Khairpur Town to University Road, Tariq Road, Mosamyat Road, Hub River Road, Surjani to Madinatul Hikmat Road, widening of Shahrah-e-Faisal, remodelling of Baloch Colony flyover, storm water drain from Jinnah International Terminal to Chakora Nala bridge at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Gizri Boulevard and construction of storm water drain from Hassan Square to Lyari River.
Furthermore, P&D Chairman Mohammad Waseem informed the meeting that 40 schemes of Rs128,441.255 million have been launched through ADP 2018-19 and this year’s allocation is Rs34,476.292m.
These schemes include the follwoing:
- Establishment of Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto University of Law (SZABUL)
- Bilawal Bhutto Engineering College Lyari
- SZB Engineering College Memon Goth
- Establishment of Sindh Institute of Traumatology
- Orthopedics at NIPA
- Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Medical Complex near Razakabad
- Extension of Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation (SIUT)
- Paeds Unit at National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases (NICVD)
- Shaheed Benazir Bhutto (SBB) Medical College Lyari
- Forensic lab in Karachi
- Establishing 4 courts at Korangi
- Rehabilitation of Karachi Fish Harbour
- 100 MGD pump house
- Upgrading of Dhabeji pumping station
- 65 MGD additional water supply from Haleji to Pipri
- Revamping of Gujjar Nala
- Rehabilitation of filter plants at Gharo
- Pipri of 210 MGD capacity
- Improvement of main Hawke’s Bay Road
- Restoration of surroundings of Empress Market
- Establishment of six garbage transfer stations
- Development of two landfill sites
- S-III (Rs3b have been allocated for the project)
- Establishment of five combined effluent treatment plants for which Rs7.9b and Rs2b have been allocated
- Remodelling of 12000 Road Landhi
- Improvement of road from Fuwara Chowk to Garden via Abdullah Haroon Road and back to Fuwara Chow
- Rehabilitation of 8000 Road Landhi from Jam Sadiq Bridge to Dawood Chowrangi,
- Rs1,256m Karachi Neighbourhood Improvement Programme (KNIP)
- Establishment of Directorate of Urban Policy & Strategic Planning Unit
- Rs2,364.1m Orange Line (Rs1,129m has been utilised on the project)
- Integrated Intelligence Transportation System
- Rehabilitation of Link Road from Malir 15 to Memon Goth
- K-IV Project Augmentation
The CM further added that various projects were at implementation stage and some projects were at securing finances and at conceptual stage.
PTI Proposes Plan for Karachi’s Development
The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government has finally proposed a package for Karachi’s development.
The plan lays significance on the city’s infrastructure, public places, transportation, water, and sanitation.
Read the complete proposal and its salient features below
With the rising water crisis taking over Karachi, the government has suggested the upgrade of Dhabeji and Pipri pumping station. It also proposed purification of seawater to fight water shortage in the city.
The plan mention improvement of Karachi Zoo, Balaji and Manchar lakes, Karachi Zoo, Safari Park, Kirthar National Park, and other public spaces.
In transportation, the development of Green Line Bus Service and circular railway system has been proposed.
Will PTI’s government be able to fulfill its plan for Karachi Development? Let’s wait and watch
Kemari Harbour To Be Turned Into A Picnic Spot
The iconic Kemari Harbor in Karachi will be ready to greet visitors very soon!
Recently, the Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Ali Haider Zaidi has announced that a restoration operation of Kemari Harbour is under process to turn it into a scenic picnic spot.
The Minister took to his twitter account and wrote that Kemari will be a place that everyone will love to visit.
Slow and steady it’s getting there. This will inshallah be a place that everyone will love to visit. #KemariPort #CleanPakistan #100DaysAgenda.
— Ali Haider Zaidi (@AliHZaidiPTI) October 5, 2018
The ministry is currently executing its finishing touches around the harbor and it will be open to the public very soon.
While updating about the renovation of the harbor, Ali Haider Zaidi said:
Removal of encroachments has started from KPT areas near Kemari Harbor. We will clean the ports & clear the roads for smooth flow of traffic.
Removal of encroachments has started from KPT areas near Kemari Harbor. We will clean the ports & clear the roads for smooth flow of traffic. pic.twitter.com/F6K1e87UgH
— Ali Haider Zaidi (@AliHZaidiPTI) October 5, 2018
The restoration operation was started by the minister last month and promised that the process will be completed in a month. He shared some of the details about the new picnic spot and informed that it will include a pickup & drop off jetty.
Major restoration operation under way at the Kemari Harbor. Inshallah in a month, u will all be able to enjoy the scenic & historical port. It’s a pick-up & drop off jetty. Not a free boat parking. These are live pics from today. Time to clean up the ports. #CleanUpKHIPorts.
Major restoration operation under way at the Kemari Harbor.
Inshallah in a month, u will all be able to enjoy the scenic & historical port.
It’s a pick up & drop off jetty. Not a free boat parking.
These are live pics from today.
Time to clean up the ports. #CleanUpKHIPorts pic.twitter.com/Kd61N3DVTa
— Ali Haider Zaidi (@AliHZaidiPTI) September 29, 2018
So if you are bored of all the old picnic spots in Pakistan, a whole new place is waiting for you this year in Karachi.
Are you excited about this new picnic spot? Let us know in the comments section below.
For more updates anad details, stay tuned to Brandsynario.
Numaish Chowrangi is Closing Down for Construction!
Update: Karachi Traffic Police has announced that the route from Numaish Chowrangi to Capri Cinema will remain closed from 4th October 2018 onwards, due to Green Line Project Work on M.A. Jinnah Road.
Being one of the busiest tracks in the city, measures have been taken by KTP to divert the traffic from Capri Cinema to Saddar Dawakhana Road and Soldier Bazar.
Karachi Infrastructure Development Company Limited has generated a map to help the citizens understand the diversion route and to highlight the construction zone.
The track highlights the construction area (red) on M.A. Jinnah Road, from Capri Cinema to Numaish Chowrangi, with Parsi Colony on one side and Central Jacob Lines on the other.
Citizens can opt for the alternate routes, Saddar Dawakhana Road and Soldier Bazar Road, highlighted in green to avoid any hassle.
Though this route will be closed for an indefinite period of time, KIDCL has requested Karachities to cooperate until the project is under construction and to drive carefully meanwhile.
The newly-elected Sindh Governor Imran Ismail has vowed to complete all the development projects in the city.
Speaking to the media, Ismail stated:
“Projects aimed at welfare and well-being of the people must be completed on time”
He also stressed the importance of the Green Line Bus Project in Karachi.
The Greenline project is vital for the transport of the city. I will approach the provincial and federal governments to address the bottlenecks surrounding the project so that people may benefit from the modern transport facility
Completed Karachi Development Projects
Sindh’s Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah had ordered that the four major projects i.e the renovation of Tipu Sultan Road, Tipu Sultan Flyover, Sunset-Gizri Boulevard Flyover, and Cantt Station road.
Tipu Sultan Overpass is now open for traffic.
Tipu Sultan Road Intersection Flyover Length is of 265 Meter and 8.60 width. The projects’ overall cost is 668.137 Million. The construction was started in February 2018 and has been completed within 6 months in August 2018.
Check out the Ariel View of the flyover!
— SherY – (@SherySyed_) August 29, 2018
Pending Karachi Development Projects
- Construction of U-turn at Natha Khan Bridge, worth Rs. 70 million project
- Submarine Chowrangi project, worth Rs. 2.2 billion is 95% complete
- Widening of Stadium Road from the National Stadium to Rashid Minhas Road, a Rs. 379.8 million project, had been completed 75%.
- Construction of road from Tank Chowrangi to the Super Highway via Thaddo Nalo, a Rs. 574 million project, had been 85% achieved
- Construction of a storm drain from the Star Gate to Chakora Nullah, worth at Rs. 200 million, in initial stages
- Work on Karachi Zoo which is Rs. 331.3 million scheme
- Construction of flyovers at KDA Chowrangi, Five Star Chowrangi, and Sakhi Hasan Chowrangi
- Construction of Mangohpir and Nishtar roads
Source: The Express Tribune
This is a developing post and will be updated over time.
Stay tuned to Brandsynario for more updates.