Transport plays a very important role in any country. Without it, goods are not able to reach their destination, individuals without commute cannot reach their workplaces, and of course, its what keeps us close to our loved ones.
However, its transport itself which is a pain in the neck especially in a busy and bustling like the city of Karachi. Not only does Karachi not have proper road and traffic rules, the traffic jams are just havoc!
To ease the headache of the residents, the Government of Sindh is introducing a new transport plan by launching a new Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) service.
Over 600 Busses to be Introduced
Nasir Hussain, minister for transportation says that this new project in Karachi will be a public-private collaboration. The CM of Sindh Murad Ali Shah and Mayor of Karachi Waseem Akhtar have been briefed about this project.
617 buses will operate in Karachi under this project. By end of November, a few will be introduced at first. After some time, all 617 will be on roads of Karachi. The routes of these buses will be decided in agreement with stakeholders.
The tickets are expected to be priced at Rs 10-30, the final amount is yet to be announced as a committee has been set for this cause.
Expected Costs and Estimates
Rs. 2 billion are spent on this project, which will be given back in small amounts in next five years as per Minister for Transportation Nasir Hussain.Also Sindh Modaraba Limited will give a loan which will cover almost 70% expenses of these buses. Sindh government and local transporters will provide the other 30% expenses.
Also, Sindh Modaraba Limited will give a loan which will cover almost 70% expenses of these buses. Sindh government and local transporters will provide the other 30% expenses.
The loan will be given by transporters in the next five year along with rental charges 5%. If the service provided by transporters will be good enough and they pay loan within the assigned time, they will get relinquishment of 15%.Whereas the Sindh government will have to pay 30% credit risk guarantee along with 5% insurance of buses.
Whereas the Sindh government will have to pay 30% credit risk guarantee along with 5% insurance of buses.
Tenders for the project will be served on first come first serve criteria. There will be a specific uniform for drivers and conductors of the bus and there will be no discussion on this matter. As for the ticket, it is compulsory for every traveler.