After a hiatus of almost 19 years, Pakistan will have its official national census! This year’s census will be different because census 2017 will include the country’s third-gender as well. Formerly, transgenders were excluded but since their kind has fought for their rights, they are now being accepted as a part of their homeland.
“All the logistics and census staff have already been deployed in all these census districts to complete this important exercise in a transparent, smooth and secure atmosphere,”
Census 2017- All You Need to Know
- The first phase of the census will be carried out from March 15 to April 15
- In Punjab, the first phase will include, Jhang, Chiniot, Faisalabad, Toba Tek Singh, Dera Ghazi Khan, Rajanpur, Layyah, Muzaffargarh, Lahore, Hafizabad, Narowal, Sialkot, Vehari, Bahawalpur, Pakpattan and Attock
- In Sindh, the census will first start in Karachi West, Karachi South, Karachi East, Korengi, Karachi Central, Malir, Hyderabad and Ghotki
- Awaran, Quetta, Lesbela, Dera Bughti, Kohlu, Musakhel, Washuq, Kharan, Kalat, Jafarabad, Naseerabad, Pishin, Noshki, Lehri would be covered during the first phase in Balochistan
- Peshawar, Mardan, Swabi, Charsadda, Nowshera, Laki Marwat, Dera Ismail Khan, Hangu, Abbottabad, Haripur, Mansehra, Battagram, Turghar and Orakzai Agency will be a part of phase one for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- In Azad Jammu and Kashmir, the first phase of census would be launched in Muzaffarabad, Bagh, Sudhnoti, Kotli and Bhimber
- Similarly, in Gilgit-Baltistan, the census during the first phase would be conducted in Gilgit, Baltistan, Ghanche, Nagar and Ghizer districts
- The services of 84,000 enumerators would be utilised in collecting the data from about 168,120 census blocks across the country.
- Census 2017 staff will consist of over 118,000 individuals
- Fine of Rs 50,000 and six months of imprisonment will be given to offenders who provide false information
- 200,000 army personnel have been engaged for the exercise
- Overseas Pakistanis, living abroad for more than six months would not be included in the exercise while all the foreigners living in Pakistan for six months on reference day would be included in the exercise
- Budget of Rs 18 billion has been allotted for the census
- The Bureau has also established a helpline to provide assistance and access to people to inform in case they were not counted in the census
Stay tuned to Brandsynario for more news and updates.