By Zenub Ayaz
September 6th, Pakistan’s Yom-e-Difa is a day when the nation pays tribute to our heroic soldiers who fought relentlessly to defend the safety and sovereignty of our country in the Indo-Pak war of 1965.
It is a national day that is celebrated with special prayers for all the martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the sovereignty and prosperity of the nation.
Also, exclusive ceremonies are held to deliberate special medals and accolades to commendable military officers for the amenities they have rendered for Pakistan. Awards like Hilal-i-Imtiaz, Sitara-i-Imtiaz, Sitara-i-Barsalat, Tamgha-i-Barsalat, Tamgha-i-Imtiaz and Imtiaz-i Sanad are some significant national awards given to officers of Pakistan Navy, Army and Air Force.
The purpose of these events is to inspire and encourage the populaces of Pakistan to think high of their motherland and build up their feelings of patriotism towards their country.
BrandSynario, along with the entire nation salutes those martyrs for their altruistic services and sacrifices and the high level of devotion they have exhibited for their motherland.
Here are some rare facts about our military forces that we are be proud of!
- Pakistan’s military forces are the seventh largest in the world in terms of active troops.
- Pakistan is the only country in the Islamic world to have female Major Generals in the Army. Major General Shahida Malik was Pakistan’s first female two-star general
- Air Commodore MM ALAM (Late) has a world record of shooting down 5 planes in less than a Minute.
- Of the largest forces in the world Pakistan spends $10,000 per soldier whereas America spends nearly $400,000 per soldier and India spends $25,000.
- The annual budget of our military forces sums up to $6.98 billion which is almost 2.7% of our GDP.
- The number of personnel serving in our defense forces are as follows;
Pakistani Military Troop Levels
Service Total Active Duty Personnel Total Reserves
Army 550,000 500,000
Navy 22,000 5,000
Air Force 45,000 8,000
- Whereas, 304,000 in the paramilitary forces, and approximately 20,000 serving in the Strategic Plans Division forces, giving a total of almost 1,451,000.
- There have been numerous non-muslims who have risen to the rank of Brigadier; and in the 1990, the first Christian promoted to the rank of Major General was Julian Peter who commanded the 14th Div in Okara Cantt. In 2009 brigadier Noel Israel Khokhar, was also promoted to rank of Major General. Capt. Hercharn Singh, the first Sikh as Commissioned Officer in Pakistan Army. He was commissioned in Baloch Regiment. Currently, he’s serving as an ADC to a Corps Commander
- Reports suggest that the percentage representation in the Pakistan Army as a whole was approximate as Punjabis: 53.19%, Pashtuns: 20%, Sindhis: 14.5%, Kashmiris: 9.11%,Baloch: 3.2%
Following are the details of our nation’s pride, our Nishan-e-Haider holders, who have sacrificed their lives for ours and our future generation’s well-being and sovereignty.