HomeSportsBangladesh Persist With Venue Change Request Despite ICC Rejection

Bangladesh Persist With Venue Change Request Despite ICC Rejection

Last updated:

spot_img

Despite the International Cricket Council (ICC) rejecting their request, Bangladesh remain unwilling to send their men’s team to India for the T20 World Cup 2026. And for now, they are not backing down.

The BCB have made it clear from the start. Their concern is player safety. Bangladesh have refused to play their World Cup matches in India and have repeatedly asked that their fixtures be shifted to Sri Lanka, the tournament’s co-host.

Following the ICC’s rejection of the request on Wednesday, BCB president Aminul Islam revealed that the board is still seeking time to consult the government.

“They said it’s a valid point and gave me 24 or 48 hours to get back to them,” Aminul said.
“We know that India is not secure for us. We remain in the stance that we want to play in Sri Lanka.”

Why the ICC Said No?

The ICC, however, see things very differently. After a board meeting, the governing body announced that Bangladesh’s request could not be accommodated.

According to the ICC, extensive security assessments had already been conducted. These included independent reviews, all of which found no credible threat to Bangladesh players, officials, media or fans at any of the Indian venues.

In its statement, the ICC stressed that changing the schedule at this stage was simply not feasible. More importantly, it warned that doing so without concrete security concerns could set a dangerous precedent for future tournaments.

In short, the ICC believe the event must go ahead as planned.

Bangladesh World Cup Schedule

As things stand, Bangladesh are placed in Group C, alongside England, West Indies, Italy and Nepal. They are set to play their first three matches in Kolkata, starting with West Indies on February 7, the opening day of the tournament.

Matches against Italy on February 9 and England on February 14 follow, before a final group game against Nepal in Mumbai on February 17.

The BCB had even proposed switching groups with Ireland or Zimbabwe to make relocation easier. That suggestion, too, was rejected.

Government Pressure and One Last Attempt

Aminul Islam admitted that the ICC decision has been acknowledged, but he also made it clear that the BCB will consult the government one final time.

“I am hoping for a miracle from the ICC,” he said. “The players and the government want Bangladesh to play the World Cup. But a government does not only consider the players. They consider everything.”

Stay tuned to Brandsynario for the latest news and updates.

Latest articles

Donald Trump Mocks Stephen Colbert With Wild Dumpster AI Video

Donald Trump’s long-running feud with Stephen Colbert just entered its weirdest chapter (yet )...

Inside Disney’s New Sofia the First Series: Our Childhood Icon is Back

Fourteen years after it first turned little kids into loyal Disney Jr. fans and...

Premium Ownership Experience Continues for Jaecoo J7 SHS Owners

At Omoda & Jaecoo Pakistan, vehicle development doesn’t end at production. It continues long...

What Really Happened To Kinza Hashmi At The Viral Meet and Greet?

What started as a cheerful fan meet and greet in Karachi quickly turned into...
spot_img
WhatsApp
Get Alerts